This is my famous flan AKA caramel custard recipe! It is smooth, rich and always a crowd-pleaser. You can make more or less caramel according to your preference. From my experience, the caramel is the best part!
Classic Flan Recipe
1/3 cup sugar for caramel
14 oz. can condensed milk
1 3/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla (extract, paste, or 1 bean)
Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Make caramel in oven safe, stove top safe container using sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix well. Pour into dish that has the cooled/hardened caramel.
- Bake in water bath for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Tips & Tricks
- Making the caramel is the hardest part. You have to melt the sugar on low heat. This will take a while but do not leave it just slowly twirl the sugar around the container until all sides are coated and sugar is amber in color.
- I use a stainless steel dish that is both stove-top and oven safe.
- Do not over bake! It’s okay if it is not completely firm as it will continue to cook in the water bath for a few minutes after removing it from the oven.
- You can add other extracts and flavors as you like but I prefer classic vanilla!